Course aims & objectives
Functions as defined in IATA's 'Dangerous Goods Training Guidance': Function 7.2 - Processing or Accepting Goods Presented as General Cargo
The Dangerous Goods Category 7 course is specifically designed to provide participants with comprehensive knowledge and understanding of dangerous goods, their potential hazards, and the regulations governing their transport by air. The primary objective of this course is to equip operators and ground handling agent's staff with the necessary skills to recognize shipments containing dangerous goods based on labeling, marking, and other indications. Furthermore, it focuses on ensuring that participants are capable of handling such shipments correctly to maintain safety and compliance.
Throughout the course, participants will cover a range of modules that contribute to their overall understanding of dangerous goods transportation:
1. General awareness, objectives, and organizations: Participants will gain an overview of the importance of general awareness regarding dangerous goods, the objectives of the training, and the relevant organizations and governing bodies involved in their transportation.
2. Legal responsibilities: This module provides participants with an in-depth understanding of the legal obligations and responsibilities associated with the transport of dangerous goods by air.
3. Classification of Dangerous Goods: Participants will learn about the classification system used to categorize different types of dangerous goods based on their inherent hazards.
4. Dangerous Goods allowances: This module covers the specific allowances and restrictions regarding quantities and packaging requirements for different types of dangerous goods.
5. Marking, labeling, and packing specifications: Participants will familiarize themselves with the proper marking, labeling, and packing specifications necessary for the safe transportation of dangerous goods.
6. The Dangerous Goods declaration: This module focuses on the completion and submission of the Dangerous Goods declaration, which contains crucial information about the shipment.
7. Acceptance and inspection: Participants will learn the procedures and protocols involved in accepting and inspecting shipments of dangerous goods.
8. Segregation and loading: This module emphasizes the importance of segregating incompatible dangerous goods and the proper loading techniques required to prevent potential hazards.
9. Provision of information and retention of documentation: Participants will understand the significance of providing accurate information and maintaining necessary documentation throughout the transportation process.
10. Dangerous Goods safety: The final module highlights the overall safety aspects associated with handling and transporting dangerous goods.
By successfully completing the Dangerous Goods Category 7 course, participants will acquire the knowledge, skills, and awareness needed to identify, handle, and manage dangerous goods in compliance with the applicable regulations. This course ensures the safety and integrity of air transportation systems and enables operators and ground handling agents' staff to fulfill their crucial role in maintaining the security and compliance of cargo operations.