Course aims & objectives
Functions as defined in IATA's 'Dangerous Goods Training Guidance': Function 7.4 - Handling/loading/unloading Cargo at warehouse/aircraft
The Dangerous Goods Category 8 course aims to provide operators and ground handling agent's staff with comprehensive knowledge and understanding of dangerous goods, their potential hazards, and the regulations governing their transport by air. This training equips participants with the necessary skills to recognize shipments containing dangerous goods based on labeling, marking, and other indications, ensuring they can handle such goods correctly and in compliance with the applicable rules.
Throughout the course, participants will cover a range of modules that contribute to their overall understanding of the transportation of dangerous goods:
1. General awareness, objectives, and organizations: Participants will gain an overview of the importance of general awareness regarding dangerous goods, the objectives of the training, and the relevant organizations and governing bodies involved in their transportation.
2. Legal responsibilities: This module provides participants with an in-depth understanding of the legal obligations and responsibilities associated with the transport of dangerous goods by air, specifically tailored to the roles of operators and ground handling agents.
3. Classification of Dangerous Goods: Participants will learn about the classification system used to categorize different types of dangerous goods based on their inherent hazards.
4. Dangerous Goods allowances: This module covers the specific allowances and restrictions regarding quantities and packaging requirements for different types of dangerous goods, focusing on the implications for operators and ground handling agents.
5. Marking, labeling, and packing specifications: Participants will familiarize themselves with the proper marking, labeling, and packing specifications necessary for the safe transportation of dangerous goods, with a focus on the roles of operators and ground handling agents in ensuring compliance.
6. Segregation and loading: This module emphasizes the importance of segregating incompatible dangerous goods and the proper loading techniques required to prevent potential hazards, specifically addressing the responsibilities of operators and ground handling agents.
7. Provision of information and retention of documentation: Participants will understand the significance of providing accurate information and maintaining necessary documentation throughout the transportation process, with a focus on the specific responsibilities of operators and ground handling agents.
8. Dangerous Goods safety: The safety module highlights the overall safety aspects associated with handling and transporting dangerous goods, emphasizing the importance of adhering to proper procedures and protocols, especially for operators and ground handling agents.
By successfully completing the Dangerous Goods Category 8 course, operators and ground handling agent's staff will possess the knowledge, skills, and awareness necessary to identify and detect dangerous goods in baggage or general cargo. This training ensures the safety and compliance of air transportation systems by equipping participants with the ability to handle and manage dangerous goods correctly. Operators and ground handling agents play a crucial role in maintaining the highest standards of safety and adherence to regulations, contributing to the integrity of the supply chain and the protection of personnel, property, and the environment.